Wisdom tooth extraction can be a scary thing—but not as scary as an improper recovery. If you do not heal properly during the recovery process, major problems could occur and your smile could be in serious danger, which is why we are here to give you the tips you need to heal in the best way possible. So, as you heal, please do the following things:
· Keep the bleeding down as much as possible. You can do so by placing a clean gauze pad over the affected area and applying pressure to it for a total of 45 minutes. If the bleeding doesn’t slow, repeat the process with a new gauze.
· To relieve pain and reduce swelling, ice outside the affected area for 10 minutes with a 20-minute break in between icing. You can ice with an ice pack or a cold compress.
· Take pain medications and antibiotics as recommended. Doing so will help relieve the pain and will also keep the surgical area safe from infection and bacteria.
· Have a liquid-foods diet until the numbness in your mouth has subsided. Once the numbness is gone, stick to a soft-foods diet for about three days. Eating soft foods will help keep the stitches in place and will keep hard foods from being lodged into the area.
· Continue to brush your teeth but avoid brushing the teeth neighboring the affected area for the first 24 hours. On the second day, feel free to brush all of your teeth but be as gentle and as careful as possible. Please stay away from commercial mouth rinses.
Our team at Bright Dental Care cares for you and your smile, and we want to help you in any way we can. So, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call 661.588.2772 and schedule an appointment at your earliest convenience. No matter the problem or question, we are here to help!